Sunday, February 7, 2016

Personal Learning Network



Slava Murava Kiss

1. What online resources do you already use? 

I have dabbled in  Google+, Pinterest, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Currently I seldom use these resources for work or in my personal life. The exception is YouTube which I will search on an "as needed" basis if I want a resource to use with students or a tutorial on something I am trying to use.

The PLN that I actually use the most is the group of RCSD school librarians. We are very active in supporting each other via email. We share information about great resources, post questions, etc.

2. What is the best time to commit to your PLN development?

I know these resources are a wealth of information, but I feel overwhelmed trying to accomplish what is already required of me in my work day. However, during this professional development course I will set aside 15 minutes after dinner most evenings to learn from my selected PLNs. Maybe I'll get hooked!

3. What new ideas or online resources might you want to start using after digging deeper with the research? 

One thing that discourages me from using PLNs is how to organize and store the great ideas that I read about and want to come back to when I have more time. I liked the tips from one of the videos that suggested using Feedly and/or Evernote. Thing 22 for Cool Tools for School covers Feedly and Evernote along with other productivity tools. I will look into those platforms.

4. What is the social media forum that you have chosen? Why did you select this? Do you have any previous experience using it? What do you think you will start looking for first?  

I know it would be helpful to spend time regularly on two  Google+ communities focused on school librairans: Global TL and TL Chat. 

I feel that these are very focused. I may also dabble in Pinterest to research felt needs like bulletin board ideas, lesson plans, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have found a routine of 10-15 mins. is a great help. Also, I use Google+ & I have the email notifications turned on. This is nice, so I can just quickly glance as what is being posted in the groups I am following without having to go into Google+ all the time. Last, your mentioned Feedly & Evernote. They are both amazing! I started using them to help with that exact problem. Take your time - Those are some of those organizational tools that we are going to jump into later in the PD.

    ReplyDelete